Mom Select contacted me and asked me to review a book for them. I was really excited when I saw the book and I knew this was going to be a great read!
The Entitlement-Free Child gives parents practical and easy to incorporate techniques to everything from bickering siblings to teacher conflicts and social problems.
The Entitlement-Free Child not only outlines what an entitlement is and how to avoid it, but gives you real-life situations and how you can deal with them. A situation is outlined, entitlement issues listed and then an entitlement-free strategies are given. As I would read a situation, I would think about how I would handle it. It was quite an eye-opener. Apparently, I have entitlement issues that I am inadvertently passing on to my children!
This book isn't a child-raising theory, it is more like a guide book with practical tips that will help guide you through confusing parenting situations.
The Benefits of Entitlement-Free parenting:
- Eliminates the self-perpetuating stress of entitlement where nothing is ever enough
- Gives you the permission and the encouragement to say "no" (a positive response to parental doubt & guilt)
- Teaches children self respect and respect for others
- Teaches children self control and postponed gratification
- Teaches children age-appropriate problem solving skills
- Gives children age-appropriate responsibility for choices and behavior
One of the best techniques that I learned about is called "play". Play - Instead of taking kids shopping or to a movie for good behavior. Try planning a picnic and enjoying a park while asking the kids what they want to do for fun and what kind of day they had? You would be amazed at the fun you will have. The bonus: You are teaching your kids they can have fun without spending a lot. This is a wonderful lesson, especially in today's economic times.
Should You Buy?
If you ever thought - why can't my kids quit the constant "Its mine, I want it" whining? This book will help you put an end to stubbornness, disrespect and social problems by giving your child the resourcefulness to get what he/she needs and the confidence to respect the needs of others.
BUY IT!: The Entitlement-Free Child by Karent Deerwester can be purchased on Amazon.com for only $11.24
WIN IT!: One of my readers will receive their own copy of The Entitlement-Free Child by Karen Deerwester.
TO ENTER: Leave a comment telling me what parenting issue you feel is your biggest concern (ex: bickering siblings, allowance, bossiness, eating out, etc...)
This is required before you may use any of the extra credit options.
Please leave your email address in your comment if it is not visible in your profile.
Extra Credit! You may do any or all of the following, just don't forget to leave a separate comment for EACH one you do:
- Blog about the giveaway with a link to my blog (www.txmykindarain.blogspot.com) 2 entries, leave 2 comments
- Follow my blog
- Add my button to your blog
- Add me to your text blog roll (not button) 2 entries, leave 2 comments
- Subscribe to my blog via email
- Follow me on Twitter and tweet the following: Tired of bratty kids? Win The Entitlement-Free Child giveaway @gutimom http://bit.ly/sHtvR
- Leave the link to your tweet in your comment. You can do this once a day! Just come back and leave the link each time you do.