Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Garden Goodness

I really don't have a "green thumb". I am known for killing plants. My herbs, always die. Not that this heat wave we have helps, but it seems like no matter what I do..something I am trying to grow dies!

Well, this year we decided to take a chance and plant a garden. We planted squash, bell peppers, green beans, cucumbers, eggplants, cantaloupe, carrots, green leaf lettuce and pumpkins. The pumpkins grew great at first, then they were attacked by some caterpillars. No idea why they chose just the pumpkins but they did. The kids were upset, but what can you do?! We will try again next year. The carrots never took but my Mother in Law informed me that carrots do not do well in our weather. Guess I should research better next time.
The squash was doing fantastic, got 3 or 4 off of a plant, then the next thing I know a stray cat has decided that's a good looking spot to take a nap. needless to say that one of the squash plants died, but I am nursing the other one back to health(I think). I do not like this cat or any cat really, so I hope he does not come and ruin another plant in my garden again!

The point to this post is to try new things! I never thought I would have the wonderful garden I have right now. Lots of cucumbers, eggplants, green beans, and the bell pepper plants look like they are about to pop out some peppers any day now!
I have learned that I will need another garden box for next year and I also learned what grows great and what won't grow at all! So take a chance and have some fun! Build a garden in your backyard! And you can check this post about how to water your garden for free!

No comments:

Blogger templates made by AllBlogTools.com

Personalized by Stitchblade Designs