Over the past seven years, Cheerios Spoonful of Stories has given away more than 35 million children's books by distributing them free inside cereal boxes and has donated nearly $ 3 million to First Book, their non- profit partner, which provides books to children for low- income families. In addition to encouraging children to read, Cheerios is looking for anyone interested in writing children's books. Now in it's third year, the Cheerios Spoonful of Stories New Author Contest is a way to encourage previously unpublished, up-and-coming children's book authors and to continue to nurture a love of reading. Entries are being accepted March 16 through July 15,2009 and will be judged on appropriate story and content for children ages 3-8, emotional connection, writing quality, uniqueness, and read-aloud potential. More details of the contest can be found at the website Spoonful of Stories Contest.
Shellie Braeuner, the first years winner, won for her book " The Great Dog Wash". This nanny from Nashville won a $5,000 cash prize and the opportunity to have her book reviewed by Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing. Simon and Schuster offered Shellie a book deal-and will publish her book, illustrated by Robert Neubecker, in hardcover this summer. In addition, Cheerios will be featuring "The Great Dog Wash" free inside 1.5 million boxes of Cheerios. The book has been specially printed in paperback in both English and Spanish.
Cheerios is also announcing the winners of the second New Author Contest:
- Lori Degman of Vernon Hills, IL., won the top prize for her story, "1 Zany Zoo." In addition to winning a $5,000 cash prize from Cheerios, Degman earned the opportunity to have her book reviewed by Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing. Simon and Schuster has since offered Degman a book deal, her book is expected to be released in 2010, initially in paperback distributed inside Cheerios boxes, and later in hardcover sold in the market.
Cheerios also named two runners-up in the contest: Tameka Fryer Brown, of Charlotte, N.C., for her story " I'm Not Eating That!" and Joan Stradling, of Star Valley, AZ., for her story, "Who Invites a Pig to Dinner?". Both Brown and Stradling will receive a cash prize of $ 1,000 from Cheerios.
Are you or someone you know an aspiring children's book author? Enter the Contest!
My kids love to be read too. My oldest daughter loves to read to all of us now that she has learned to read. We all really enjoyed these books so much! They have definitely been added to our rotation of bedtime stories! Their favorite is the book, " When Dinosaurs Came With Everything".
I have a complimentary Spoonful of Stories gift set to giveaway to one of my readers, thanks to My Blog Spark! To enter, you must Answer one of the following questions(these are a must to be entered, read on for how you can earn even more entries!):
1. How often do you read with your children?
2. What is your favorite Children's book?
3. If you could be a character from a children's book, who would it be?
1. Blog about this giveaway and leave me the link in a comment.
2. Tweet about this giveaway on twitter, leaving me the link in a comment
3. Follow my blog and leave a comment letting me know.
4. Follow me on twitter, just click the Follow me button my blog, leave me a comment with your twitter name so I know you are following me!
Books are in English and Spanish. CONTEST ENDS SATURDAY JUNE 27TH!